We and our users who lawfully post text, messages, information and images ("Content") on this site own the property rights to that Content. The Content is protected by international treaties, and by copyright, trademark, patent, and trade secret laws and other proprietary rights. For example, 14Across owns a copyright in the selection, organization, arrangement, and enhancement of the Content, as well as in our original Content.
You agree that 14Across is not liable for Content that is provided by others. We have no duty to pre-screen Content, but we have the right to refuse to post and to edit submitted Content. 14Across reserves the right to remove Content for any reason, but we are not responsible for any failure or delay in removing such material.
You may use 14Across and the Content offered on this site only for personal, non-commercial purposes. You may use Content offered for printing for personal use only and subject to the rules that accompany that particular Content. You may not use the Content in a manner that exceeds the rights granted for your use of the Content. You may not use any data mining, robots, or similar data gathering and extraction tools on the Content, frame any portion of 14Across or Content, or reproduce, reprint, copy, store, publicly display, broadcast, transmit, modify, translate, port, publish, sublicense, assign, transfer, sell, loan, or otherwise distribute the Content without 14Across' prior written consent.
You may use 14Across for lawful purposes only. You may not submit or transmit through this site any material, or otherwise engage in any conduct that:
- violates or infringes the rights of others including, without limitation, patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, publicity or other proprietary rights,
- victimizes, harasses, degrades, or intimidates an individual or group of individuals on the basis of religion, gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, age, or disability,
- is unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, deceptive, fraudulent, invasive of another's privacy, tortious, or contains explicit or graphic descriptions, or accounts of, sexual acts,
- impersonates any person, business or entity, including 14Across and its employees,
- contains viruses or any other computer code, files or programs that interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment, or otherwise permit the unauthorized use of a computer,
- encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, or that gives rise to civil liability,
- interferes with the use of this site by other users.
Upon a request by us, you agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless us and our respective employees from all liabilities, claims, and expenses, including attorney's fees that arise from your use or misuse of the site. We reserve the right, at our own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you, in which event you will cooperate with us in asserting any available defenses.
Services for Registered Users
Some features, such as the hints and solutions feature, are available only to registered users. These require you to sign in with an email to use them. You may not provide false information during sign up. You must provide truthful and accurate information when creating your 14Across profile.
14Across does not target its website to users under 13 of age. There may be certain access restrictions placed on any under 13 year old users. You agree that if you assist users under 13 years old to access the site with your computer, internet enabled device, internet connection and/or facilities that you will assume full liability for any consequences and that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NEGLIGENCE 14ACROSS SHALL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SITE BY USERS UNDER 13 YEARS OF AGE, EVEN IF SUCH PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
Payment and Fees
14Across may offer premium services and content for a fee. Currently, users may charge a fee for solving their crosswords. Payments are made via PayPal to 14Across and are then accumulated in the user's account. Users may withdraw these payments, minus 14Across fee.
Payment and other applicable terms will be disclosed to you at the time you sign up for any fee-based service and you will be subject to those additional terms.
Users may but points for use on the site. These payments are made in advance and are not refundable in whole or in part. 14Across reserves the right to change these fees or billing methods at any time. You are responsible for reviewing the site to obtain timely notice of such changes. Your continued use of your account of thirty days after posting of the changes on the site means that you accept such changes. If any change is unacceptable to you, you may cancel your account at any time, but we will not refund any fees that may have accrued to your account before cancellation.
All payments are done via PayPal. You may set up a free PayPal account at www.paypal.com. 14Across is not affiliated with PayPal.
14Across collects some personal information. This includes:
- Information You Provide: We receive and store any information you enter on our site. You can choose not to provide certain information, but then you might not be able to take advantage of our service. We use the information that you provide for such purposes as responding to your requests, customizing future browsing for you, improving our services, and communicating with you.
- Automatic Information: Our servers automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you access 14Across. These server logs may include information such as your web request, Internet Protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser.
- Advertisers: We use 3rd party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you.
14Across takes appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of data.
3rd Party Services
This site may include links to 3rd party sites. Some of these sites may contain materials that are objectionable, unlawful, or inaccurate. These links do not mean that we endorse these 3rd party services. You acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible or liable for any Content or other materials on these 3rd party services.
Limitations of Liability
YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR ANY DISPUTE WITH US IS TO DISCONTINUE YOUR USE OF THE SITE. IN NO EVENT SHALL OUR LIABILITY FOR ANY AND ALL CLAIMS RELATING TO THE USE OF 14ACROSS EXCEED THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF SERVICE FEES THAT YOU PAID US DURING A ONE-YEAR PERIOD FOR THE SPECIFIC SERVICE AT ISSUE. WE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF, INABILITY TO USE, OR RELIANCE UPON 14ACROSS. THESE EXCLUSIONS APPLY TO ANY CLAIMS FOR LOST PROFITS, LOST DATA, LOSS OF GOODWILL, WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY OTHER COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES, EVEN IF WE KNEW OR SHOULD HAVE KNOWN OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. BECAUSE SOME STATES OR JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR THE LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, IN SUCH STATES OR JURISDICTIONS, OUR LIABILITY SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
Disclaimer of Warranties
We provide 14Across as is, with all faults and as available. We make no express warranties or guarantees about 14Across. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, WE DISCLAIM IMPLIED WARRANTIES THAT 14ACROSS AND ALL SOFTWARE, CONTENT AND SERVICES DISTRIBUTED THROUGH THIS SITE ARE MERCHANTABLE, OF SATISFACTORY QUALITY, ACCURATE, TIMELY, FIT FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NEED, OR NON-INFRINGING. WE DO NOT GUARANTEE THAT 14ACROSS WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, IS ERROR-FREE, RELIABLE, WITHOUT INTERRUPTION OR AVAILABLE AT ALL TIMES. WE DO NOT GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO ACCESS OR USE THIS SITEAT TIMES OR LOCATIONS OF YOUR CHOOSING. NO ORAL OR WRITTEN INFORMATION OR ADVICE GIVEN BY A 14ACROSS REPRESENTATIVE SHALL CREATE A WARRANTY. YOU MAY HAVE ADDITIONAL CONSUMER RIGHTS UNDER YOUR LOCAL LAWS THAT THIS DOCUMENT CANNOT CHANGE.
Changes to 14Across
14Across may modify or discontinue any service at any time, without notice.